Sunday, October 15, 2017

Emilio Largo in THUNDERBALL (1965)

After Oddjob from GOLDFINGER, the next character I wanted to paint was from the next Bond movie, THUNDERBALL: Emilio Largo, an agent of Spectre. The entire movie took place at the Bahamas. This is the movie that introduced the iconic underwater battle scenes in Bond movies. It was spectacular. I remember how impressed I was by the underwater photography and the glamorous exoic locations after seeing the movie in a repertoire cinema when I was a teenager in the 1970s. Largo's evil pets are the sharks that he keeps in his swimming pool. I must draw at least one shark into the background. The shark in the painting was from a photo of a shark I found on Google. It was difficult to paint the flexible body of a fish. I think it works. However I discovered that palm trees were not something I knew how to paint. The result is pretty cartoonish. (8" x 10" acrylic on canvas)